Prof. dr. Hans van den Hurk
Hans is a tax lawyer with broad experience in domestic, bilateral and multilateral international tax strategies and controversies. He has conducted several cases before Dutch courts and the European Court of Justice. He is also a professor of Corporate International Tax Law and International Tax Policy at Maastricht University. He regularly speaks and publishes on international tax issues all over the world.
Hans worked as an international tax partner at Andersen until 2002 and then at Deloitte until 2014. Since then he has been working as a strategic advisor and litigator for multinational companies, internationally operating family businesses and (developing) countries. Hans also regularly acts as a tax arbitrator or mediator.
Hans is a regular speaker on international tax law and tax policy as well as EU tax law around the world. He currently conducts and supervises cases in the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Italy and Spain.
Other professional activities
- Professor of International and European Tax Law at Maastricht University;
- Various guest lectures at other universities such as Rotterdam, Nijmegen, Berlin (Germany), Paris (France), Ghent (Belgium), London (UK), Vilnius (Lithuania), Ancona (Italy), Taipei (Taiwan), Peru, Chile etc.;
- Member of the Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB);
- Member of the Association for Tax Science;
- Member of the Association for Fiscal Mediation;
- Member of the Board of the NOB Section Difficulties;
- Correspondent for the Bulletin of International Fiscal Documentation (IBFD) and contributor to the Weekblad voor Fiscaal Recht.
Hans has extensive experience in serving Dutch multinationals and European headquarters of foreign multinationals, including in the banking and oil and gas sectors. In recent years, he has also regularly worked for internationally operating Dutch family companies.